Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Goldfish

I am house sitting for a very kind family from my church. They have two sweet girls, a dog, two fish, a hamster and a neighbor that throws all the newspapers up near the house after the paperboy leaves them on the driveway. They have graciously allowed me to live here while they are on vacation, and they are returning tomorrow. Today I woke up and thought the room I was living in smelled kind of funny. I opened the window, sprayed some air freshener and went on my way. A few hours later I went by to check on the hamster and peeked into the smelly room and noticed a smelly, lifeless goldfish. Some little part of me was sad and thought this was really poor timing, but most of me thought it was really funny. So I cleaned the little dead fish out of the tank and gave him a 10 second funeral as the toilet flushed. Then I called the dad and advised him to warn the little girl about her loss.

I also have had some great time with the Lord the last few days. Here are some things I have learned...

2 Corinthians 4:7-10

Cause :
Verse 7 & 10 "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all surpassing power is from God and not from us...We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body."

Effect:
Verse 8-9 "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

I don't think I really need to say any more, just read those verses one more time and it should start to sink in.

Here is the other passage that has impacted my life greatly lately.

Psalm 34:8-14
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord. Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it."

Right before I read this passage I was praying and told the Lord I needed Him to provide my financial support. I confessed that I was fearful that things would not come together and that He was not good. Then I read Psalm 37:34 "Hope in the Lord" and it cross referenced Psalm 34, so I went back and read that.

A friend asked me today how I was doing with my ministry partner development. I told her I felt hopefull, yet full of despair at the same time. I'm not sure how that is possible, but it is how I feel. The minute I quit meditating on these verses despair begins to sink in, then I turn to the Lord and He fills me with hope.

No comments: